Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Honest Update On My Weight Loss Journey


There I was, shoving candy bar wrappers towards the bottom of the garbage can.  Did I really think that if no one saw them that it would magically zero out my caloric intake of sugar?  Still not satisfied, I whipped open the cupboard and pulled out some Pringles.  Once you pop, you just can’t stop.  Yeah, I was painfully aware that their slogan was pretty spot on.  I then reached up and grabbed that package of Peanut Butter Oreos.  As I began to indulge once again, I shifted the Oreos around in the tray to make it look like I didn’t eat as many.  Really? When my husband found the package with only four cookies left, I instantly blamed the kids.  They ate some too!  But I knew in my heart I was just trying to justify my sin.

Overindulgence and gluttony is a sin.  Just like before starting my journey on The Grace & Strength Lifestyle, I felt like I was out of control and seeking not only to satisfy myself with food, but to overindulge to the point of binge eating.  Did I honestly think that food would satisfy my cravings?  All it did was leave me 10 pounds heavier a week later.   Shoving candy bar wrappers to the bottom of the garbage does not erase calories after all!  

I felt like a failure.  Here I was, 40 pounds lighter (10 pounds towards my goal) and I was right back where I started--turning to food for comfort!  I sat on my bed and cried.  Why is this process so difficult, Lord?  When will I finally “get it”?

I opened my Made To Crave book and grabbed my Bible.  I knew the answer; God was not finished with me yet.  I described this process to a friend at church the other day like this:  It’s a continual stripping away until all I have left is Jesus to be my joy and comfort.  Believe me, I know all the cliché-Bible answers; but this time, they went to my core and I finally, truly get it.

As I cried, I began to pray for other ladies I knew were struggling with food addiction just like me.  I lifted them up to the Lord by name, and pleaded on their behalf.  As I prayed for them as  I wept from my own pain and guilt, I was especially aware of something.  In 2 Corinthians 1:4, “Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we maybe able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.”  I finally started to understand the depth of this verse as God began to heal my heart and give me His joy.  Would I ever have even imagined what other women struggle with if I had not struggled too?  Also, even more amazing, God is aware and feels every pain and struggle I go through!  He understands!

Some Things I’ve learned On This Journey:

Compliments and Skinny Jeans do not solve the problem of my heart. While I may be getting compliments about my waist line, God is still not finished with my heart.  He wants all of me.  Is He trying to get all of you?  Surrender to Him.

Consequences come, whether I pretend they won’t or not.  Every act of obedience has a blessing, and every act of disobedience has a consequence.

I don’t need to remain a victim.  I can rise above this with God’s help.  In Made To Crave, Lysa references something that was life-changing for me.  She said, “Often it is easier to play the victim than take off our masks and ask for help.  We get comfortable with our victim status.  It becomes our identity and is hard to give up.  The Israelites often played the victim card, and I love what God finally tells them, “You have circled this mountain long enough.  Now turn north” (Deuteronomy 2:3).  Turn north!  It’s time to move on!  Self-pity, fear, pride, and negativity paralyze us.  Taking off our masks takes courage, but if we don’t do it, we will remain in our victim status and end up stunted.”  Have you circled this mountain long enough?  I know I have!

Abide In God’s Love.  John 15:9-11 says, As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.  Now remain in my love.  If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in His love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”  If I abide in God’s love and remain close to Him, my joy will be complete in Him and not things or circumstances.  Things change, but God always remains the same!  I can be fully secure in Him alone.

Purpose In My Heart To Finish This Journey.  Like anyone trying to break free from addiction knows, there is a point where our resolve gets weak and it seems easier to give up.  Don’t!  Don’t! Don’t give up!  My pastor was preaching out of Daniel chapter 1, and verse 8 hit me.  This is what it says, “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.”  I need to purpose in my heart that I will stick with this.  I will allow God to complete the work He has started in me, that it might give glory to Him.

Many of you have been following my journey on The Grace & Strength Lifestyle and have been so supportive.  I know I haven’t posted here in a while so I wanted to update you.  I’ve lost 40 pounds and have about 5-10 to go!  I can almost taste it now!  I feel like I’ve been “stuck” at this last 10 pounds and this morning God showed me why… He is not finished with me yet.  I’m so thankful for the time in His Word and for resources like The Grace & Strength Lifestyle that point me to Jesus as the source of my contentment.  That is what is different about this program from any other I’ve done.  I truly believe, more than ever, that this will be a life-change for me!  Thank you, Jesus!


Photobucket
Share |

26 comments :

  1. Beautiful, Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy. I too am traveling through Grace and Strength and I know I have circled this mountain long enough and it's time to purpose in my heart that I will finish this journey that The Lord has started me on. Thank you for the inspiration..I had recently lost that!
      Valerie Henry

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your heart here! Something I needed to read today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thank you for your comment and I'm glad it worked in your life!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful !!! I lost thirty pounds two years ago and have maintained that weight, but I still have some pounds to go, we can do this together, loose those last pounds!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer!!!! Love you!

      Delete
  4. Traci -- as I'm on a journey to lead a more disciplined life (which includes exercise and weight loss), I really appreciated this post. :-) Thank you for sharing your heart today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Mary! Thanks for stopping by! I am praying and believing with you that we will accomplish our goals for His glory!

      Delete
  5. I admire your willingness and even determination to be transparent.... Those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth. That is the best starting point there is . The point of truth. Congratulations and thanks for sharing Traci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Only by His grace and strength!

      Delete
  6. Your words are convicting and yet so encouraging. Ironically, I wrote a post just yesterday centered on Daniel and, even though I didn't get specific with resolutions in my post, living a healthy life (physically and spiritually) is a top priority for me.

    I am praying for strength and believing along with you that "God isn't finished with me yet!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last ten are the hardest!!! I love the Bible verse about circling the mountain and turning North, I will reflect on that in my moments of food weakness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are and that verse has been life changing for me!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post from your beautiful heart. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration...I can certainly relate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to hug you right now. I am so inspired and encouraged by your vulnerability.

    Thank you. And press on, sister! I believe in you, because I believe in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I can feel your hug!

      Delete
  10. Traci....THANK YOU for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 and you are very welcome!

      Delete
  11. Wish I couldn't relate as well as I do! I have (had) lost over 30 pounds...and then headed down the slippery slope again. Food is not my Friend, Comforter, Helper...Jesus is. Thanks for this reminder that I needed today. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I am struggling, still, and just don't know if this weight will ever be gone. I have a lot of work to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add you to my prayer list! Love you... let God unsettle you and get a hold of your heart and soul. Our JOY is only found in Him alone.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for your honesty and for sharing. I struggle with emotional/binge eating too, and I know God is not done with me in that regard either. I need Daniel's purpose as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! Let's purpose together!

      Delete
  14. Thank you everyone for your comments. I so appreciate them. I'll update you again when I reach my goal... hopefully, Lord willing, by the end of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year Traci! Thank you for your transparency here...it is good to see you open to the Holy Spirit's guidance. Take your strength in Him...you can do it! I've made a resolution to lose my extra pounds myself and to take care of this body that is almost to the top of the hill.

    Praying for you. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your friendship! If you can't comment, try commenting as anonymous or you can email me at curly2880 at yahoo dot com.